500g of very ripe tomatoes
4 large red chillies (leave seeds in if you like your chutney hot!)
6-7cm of root ginger, sliced
100ml red wine vinegar
1. Blitz the tomatoes with the garlic, chillies and ginger in a food processor. Pour into a heavy based saucepan. Add the sugar and vinegar, then bring to the boil stirring slowly. Reduce to a simmer. 2. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the mixture has darkened and reduced to a sticky consistency, stirring from time to time. 3. Store in warm, dry, sterilised jars and seal while the mixture is still warm.
The longer you keep this the hotter it will get. It will keep for about 3 months in the fridge. Delicious with biscuits and cheese, burgers, cold meats, couscous, in fact anything!
900g cucumbers diced unpeeled
2 large onions sliced
25g cooking salt
600ml cider vinegar
5ml mustards seeds
450g soft brown sugar
1.25ml ground cloves
– Put cucumber and onions in bowl with salt, leave for 2 hours.
– Rinse salt off under running water
– Put in pan with vinegar and bring to boil, simmer for 15 minutes until vegetables are soft then add sugar and spices.
– Stir until sugar is dissolved then bring to boil. Remove from heat and leave to get cold, then pot up.
Also works for courgettes.